In the hot and humid Singapore weather, most people don’t realize just how vital a part an air conditioner plays in day-to-day life. Whether you’re simply at home or in a business space, an air conditioner cools down the room, keeping occupants comfortable all day and night.
But for something so integral to daily living, most AC unit owners don’t understand how aircons work or aren’t aware of the multitude of benefits that air conditioners provide.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the general process that makes an air conditioner work — letting you stay one step ahead of any problem early on for immediate repair and maintenance.
How Does an Aircon Work?
To have a better grasp of how air conditioners really work, try comparing it to that of a refrigerator. The process and machinations behind these two common home appliances are essentially the same. The only difference? A refrigerator is designed to cool a small, insulated space, while an air conditioner will cool an entire space — be it your room, home or office.
The air conditioning works by moving a refrigerant or coolant through four steps (compression, condensation, expansion, and evaporation) through the four main components of your unit: the compressor, condenser, expansion valve, and the evaporator.
1. Low pressure coolant makes its way to the compressor
The first step happens when the low pressure coolant gas moves through the compressor, exiting as a high-pressure gas.
Then, the now-high pressure refrigerant flows into the condenser, which condenses the gas into a liquid state. This releases heat into the surrounding area.
2. The refrigerant cools down into the evaporator
The high-pressure refrigerant then moves through a thermal expansion valve. As the expansion valve limits the flow-rate of the refrigerant, the refrigerant experiences a pressure-drop as it leaves the expansion valve.
The refrigerant cools further and it is at its lowest temperature at this point. The liquid refrigerant then flows into an evaporator, where heat from the room is absorbed.
3. The cycle repeats to provide the desired temperature
By the time the refrigerant leaves the evaporator again, it's back to being low-pressure gas, and returns to the condenser to start the cycle all over again.
This process will continue again and again until your room, home, or office reaches the temperature you want, as programmed and sensed by a thermostat setting.
The Importance of Air Conditioners
- It reduces heat and humidity - Having a well-functioning aircon system at home or at the workplace can greatly reduce any discomfort brought about by extreme heat and humidity. With a cool and comfortable environment, occupants are highly likely to achieve maximum levels of productivity and avoid the risk of heat-related illnesses.
- It provides better air quality - Aircons are capable of filtering and removing different air pollutants such as mold, allergens, and other bacteria from the air. This is especially useful for people who suffer from allergies, asthma or any respiratory-related illness.
- It prevents dehydration and extreme sweating - Because an air conditioner is designed to keep you cool and comfortable all day, it also prevents you from sweating excessively. This can help prevent any case of dehydration or any fatigue-induced disorder due to extreme heat and sweating.
- It improves your sleeping patterns - By keeping the air conditioner all night, you’re always guaranteed to get a good night’s sleep. This is because it works overnight by keeping your room temperature regulated for maximum comfort. Gone are the days and nights of waking up on the wrong side of the bed!
- It protects your home furniture and items - By keeping the air conditioning unit on, you don’t just keep yourself healthy—your furniture benefits too! Wood is saved from warping, leather avoids the risk of rotting and different fabrics are less likely to accumulate mold.
Professional AC Servicing Done Right and Fast
Whether you’re looking for your next go-to AC service provider or you just want to experience a fast and easy maintenance appointment, give us a call here at Luce Aircon!
Our team of trained aircon experts and technicians are here to help you with the full suite of our air conditioning system repair and maintenance services — from general servicing to chemical washing to gas top-ups.
Contact us to book your slot today!