A clogged AC drain line can spell a lot of problems for you and your AC unit. Because this part is responsible for preventing water leaks at the condensate pipe end, it is important to act fast whenever the slightest hint of blockage appears. Addressing a clogged aircon drain line is pretty straightforward, and can be performed by almost anyone with basic knowledge and expertise of the AC system. In this article, we’ll discuss the different signs that you need to watch out for when checking for clogged AC drains and the steps you can follow when making quick fixes.
Air Conditioner Drain Line Clogged: The Signs to Watch Out For
There are a number of ways to check whether your aircon has drain line issues. One of the most obvious signs of a clogged AC drain is usually when an aircon unit stops working altogether. But since that can also apply to other faulty aircon parts, it also helps to pay attention to the following tell-tale signs of a blocked aircon drain.
- Flooding in the handler unit - The AC drain line is mainly responsible for making sure that any excess condensation is removed from your air conditioning unit. Because of this, an obvious sign that your unit is experiencing blockage would be the flooding of the handler unit. If you happen to notice either a small trickle or a rush of liquid, then chances are you’ve got yourself a clogged AC drain line.
- Aircon not cooling or functioning - Is your aircon not cooling or functioning at all? Then it might be high time to check its drain line. A blockage in the drain system can cause the water safety switch in your unit to be switched on, which would automatically prevent the unit from operation. In some cases, liquid may have also found their way around the safety switch, also causing the unit to function improperly.
- Damp and moldy smell - Another sign that it’s time to clear your AC drain line is if your unit starts producing air that is damp and moldy in smell. Having a build-up inside the drain system would usually lead to a poor quality such as this. Since mold is known to cause a number of health-related issues and complications, it’s necessary to act on clearing your drain line right away to prevent any additional mold build-up or illnesses among family members at home.
- Water damage around the unit - If your unit starts showing signs of water damage, then it could be a clear sign that your drain line is blocked and needs clearing and cleaning as soon as possible.
- Full AC condensate drain line pan - A potential AC drain line clog often results in a full condensate pan. To prevent the build-up of mold in your AC system, consider acting on this right away by cleaning your drain line.
What to Do When Your AC Drain Line is Clogged
If you’re planning to clear your AC drain line by yourself, get the following materials:
- A stiff and thin wire brush
- A wet or dry vacuum
- Duct tape
- Rubber gloves
- Turn off your AC unit by switching it off and plugging the electrical cord.
- Outside your unit and near the condenser unit, find your AC drain line.
- Get the brush and push it inside the end of the AC drain line. Doing this will clear the clogs away from the end of the drain line.
- Using the wet or dry vacuum, attach it to the end of the drain line and seal it by using a duct tape. Switch the vacuum on and let the machine suck out the debris from the drain line. Do this for a few minutes until the AC drain line has visibly cleared up.
- Find the vent tee and remove the PVC cap on top of it.
- Using the thin wire in your brush, insert it into this end and gently clean out any additional clogs from the AC drain line.
- Afterwards, put on your rubber gloves and clean the AC drain pipe by applying a cleaning solution of one cup bleach and one cup water into the pipe. Let the solution soak for about 30 minutes.
- Let the water drain out of the AC drain line. To do this, you can place a bucket at the end of the line to check if it has fully cleared the water out of the system.
- Pour water into the vent tee as well and check if it made its way throughout the AC.
- After checking that both parts have cleared up, let them dry for some time. You can finally use your AC again!
Keeping Your AC Drain Line Clean and Clear
Checking for and clearing a clogged drain line shouldn’t be too much work. With these simple signs to watch out for and an easy cleaning guide to boot, you can make sure you keep your AC’s drain line clean and extra clear even in the comfort of your own home. However, if you’re still having difficulties in checking and fixing a clogged drain line, then it might be time to seek a professional aircon servicing company.
For quality maintenance and repairs for every major AC brand in Singapore, contact us at Luce Aircon. Our team of highly skilled AC technicians are here to assist you for all your AC needs. With our honest pricing, we make sure that your home, office, or business will receive the best aircon system service, for the best price. Fill out the form below or check our wide range of aircon services.